Saturday, September 17, 2011

Oliver & Company (1988)

  Sometimes I just put a movie on while I clean my apartment.  I hadn't watched this one in a while and I ended up sitting down and watching the whole thing.

I hate cleaning anyway.

This was Disney's version of Oliver Twist, about a young orphan (in this case, a yellow kitten voiced by Joey Lawrence) who falls in with a bunch of street thieves led by Dodger (Billy Joel) and Fagin (Dom DeLouise), who owes money to mobster Sykes (Robert Loggia).  On his first outing, Oliver gets caught by uptown girl Jenny and moves into her Park Avenue pad, displacing Georgette (Bette Midler), the prize-winning poodle.  Georgette helps the gang "rescue" Oliver, prompting Fagin to think of ransoming him back to pay off his debts.  When tiny Jenny shows up with her piggy bank, he completely crumbles and gives Oliver back.  Unfortunately, Sykes is waiting and kidnaps Jenny.  Now it's up to the animals to rescue her and get back to where they belong.

I know that sometimes I can be overly critical and I have a habit of picking relatively obscure movies to watch and review, but even I recognize that sometimes you just need a movie that's fluffy and light with a fun soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment