Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Princess and the Frog (2009)

  I missed this one when it came out in theaters and I shouldn't have.  It's a great movie, a return to what made Disney animation such a powerhouse for so long.  None of the songs in particular really grabbed me but I could at least recognize that they were good songs. 

Tiana (Anika Noni Rose) is a waitress who dreams of owning her own restaurant.  Her wish seems poised to come true on the eve of the arrival of Prince Naveen of Moldonia (Bruno Campos) to New Orleans.  The prince has come in order to marry a rich bride after his parents have cut him off for being a lazy snot.  Tiana's friend Charlotte (Jennifer Cody) fits the bill and is desperate to become a princess to boot.  Unfortunately, the prince's put-upon servant Lawrence (Peter Bartlett) makes a deal with the Shadow Man (Keith David) to turn the prince into a frog.  Frog-Naveen convinces Tiana to kiss him by promising her the money to buy her restaurant.  Unfortunately, this turns Tiana into a frog as well.  The two amphibians seek out the Voodoo Queen of the Bayou, Mama Odee (Jenifer Lewis) to change them back.

Oprah, Terrence Howard, John Goodman, and even Emeril Lagasse also voice characters in the movie.

This was definitely a good purchase since I'm fairly certain I could watch this over and over again.  And I'm a grown woman.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part: the fireflies...those funny little back-wood cajuns!

    ReplyDelete