Monday, March 26, 2012

Beginners (2011)

Nominated for Best Supporting Actor  
This was cute, in a quiet sort of way.  I wouldn't call it riveting but it was okay. 

Oliver Fields (Ewan McGregor) is trying to have a relationship with a woman (Melanie Laurent) while still ordering his thoughts and feelings about his father (Christopher Plummer) who came out in the years before his death.  ...That's about it, really. 

The real scene-stealer here is Arthur, the Jack Russell terrier.  That is a really cute dog. 

It sounds terrible that the only thing I liked about this movie was the dog but I'm really not a fan of character drama or movies about deep personal reflection.  I think everyone involved did a good job, especially Goran Visnjic as Plummer's younger, still immature, boyfriend.  He was able to show such nuance to the character without resorting to flamboyance.  It was a great understated performance and I would have liked to see him get more attention for it.

More importantly, this is my 500th post!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment