Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Tree of Life (2011)

Nominated for Pest Picture, Best Director, and Best Cinematography  Two things as first impressions:  1) the opening screen says "For optimal sound reproduction, the producers of this blu-ray recommend you play it loud".  I'm not sure what the hell they're trying to say there, unless they knew their target audience was the elderly.  2) The next screen is a quote from the book of Job in the Bible.  This is not good foreshadowing.

This movie made no sense.  It was so boring I thought I was going to lose a pulse.  It was like a boring mid-life-crisis retrospective had been chopped up and put in a blender with a nature documentary.  And yet, it's not a shitty movie.  It is beautifully shot and each frame was chosen with care which I can only take to mean that the director did it on purpose this way.  I can't fathom his reasoning but that is probably the point.

Jack (Sean Penn) is a successful architect but is unhappy.  He has a strained relationship with his father (Brad Pitt), a strict disciplinarian, and a dreamy appreciation for his mother (Jessica Chastain), a devout Catholic with a love of nature.  As far as I can tell, the whole point of the movie is that life progresses and eventually something bad happens and it changes your perspective, but if you try hard enough, you can get that feeling back.  Or something.  Honestly, I kept falling asleep everything I tried to watch this movie.

This was supposed to go up yesterday.  I know you guys don't care what my excuses are but I'm going to list them anyway.  I'm still adjusting to my new work schedule with involves a much longer commute so finding time to watch movies during the week is getting rough.  I've almost completely given up on TV.  Also, yesterday I helped my friend paint her rental house so she can hopefully get some tenants soon.  Hopefully things will start settling down soon and I can get back to doing what I do best:  make fun of movies that suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment