Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Soldier (1998)


  Back from my trip and even though I've missed my post deadline here on the east coast, I'm still running on California time so I'm going to go ahead with this one.

I was really trying to get Rob to watch movies he'd never seen which involved several repeats for me, like The Muppets and Escape from New York.  Still, I suffered for a good cause.  

This is another film that doesn't get a lot of play but I really liked it.  Probably because it doesn't try and pretend to be anything but what it is:  a solid action movie.

Todd (Kurt Russell) is trained from birth to be a perfect soldier, an emotionless yet highly dedicated killing machine.  However, at 40-years-old, he's replaced by a newer, faster breed personified by Caine 607 (Jason Scott Lee).  Left for dead and dumped onto a trash planet, Todd is taken in by a group of refugees.  Unfortunately for all concerned, the planet they are on is shortlisted for cleaning procedures.  All inhabitants are to be considered hostiles and eliminated.  Now Todd must go head-to-head with his replacements in order to save his new community.

There are no surprises here.  There are lots of shooting, lots of explosions, and lots of dead people.  Some people may find it a bit too simplistic but this is Paul Anderson before he got all crazy with the Resident Evil series.  For me, I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment