Saturday, April 7, 2012

Anonymous (2011)

Nominated for Best Costume    This was an interesting idea for a movie, told in the most depressing way possible. 

The idea is that William Shakespeare was actually an illiterate actor (played by Rafe Spall) and that he took credit for the works because the actual author was a lord, the Earl of Oxford (Rhys Ifans), and unable to publish because of his station.  The Earl was in constant disfavor with the Queen's top advisor, William Cecil (David Thewlis), despite being his son-in-law, and thus was not granted any leeway.  He hires Ben Jonson (Sebastian Armesto), a contemporary writer, to be his voice but Jonson is put off by the idea.  His overreaching friend Shakespeare seizes the opportunity and runs with it.  Meanwhile, the Earl is trying to keep William Cecil and his son from nominating James I of Scotland to succeed Queen Elizabeth I (Vanessa Redgrave, and in flashbacks, her daughter Joely Richardson) in favor of the Earl of Essex (Sam Reid), one of Elizabeth's bastard sons.

This is where it starts getting depressing if you're at all familiar with the line-up of English royalty.  A number of accusations are made, including ones of murder, that would be outright slander if any of these people were still alive.  There's a big reveal that, frankly, didn't need to be said.  It doesn't really add anything but another level of creep-factor to the film.

As a production, it is very good.  Crisp, well-paced, even if there are a little too many characters for my taste.  As a concept, as I've said, it's interesting.  Overall, I was not a fan.  I did not care for it in any way, in fact, and I would not recommend it to any of my friends unless I secretly wished them ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment