Sunday, April 15, 2012

V for Vendetta (2005)



I love this movie.  I love everything about this movie.  I would consider it a perfect film.  Watching it is akin to a religious experience, if your religion happens to be Anarchy.

Sometimes I feel like a serial killer (I know, I know, but bear with me) because the first time you watch a really great film it's like a high, an incredible euphoria, but so fleeting because the next time you watch it that feeling is gone.  This is when I generally force others to watch, so I can feed from the joy on their faces, a contact high if you will.  V for Vendetta is one of those rare films that doesn't lose the high for me.  I can revel in every scene like cinematic catnip.

For those of you who don't know this movie, shame on you.  Fix that shit.  Immediately.

Evie Hammond (Natalie Portman) lives in a London of the future, a London ruled by fear.  After a terrifying outbreak of disease, the country has cut itself off from the rest of the world and grown ever more dependent on its increasingly oppressive regime.  That is, until one night out past curfew, Evie runs afoul of two secret police and is rescued by a mysterious man in a Guy Fawkes mask named V (Hugo Weaving).  V is out to take the government back for the people in as violent a way as possible, and get some vengeance for himself as well.

It is stunning and one of my top three favorite films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment