Saturday, August 4, 2012

Stick It (2005)

  I don't know how many of you are watching the 2012 Summer Olympics, but I am.  I've been trying to, anyway.  Although I could really not give a shit about 90% of the events.  Just sayin'.  I really only like watching the Equestrian events and Women's Gymnastics, and since NBC has decided to air all the Equestrian bits while I'm working, that only leaves me with one.  My roommates, Christy and Rob, were watching as well and we kept getting stuck on the byzantine scoring system of green tiangles, yellow squares, purple monkeys, and whatnot.  Our frustration reminded me of this movie.

Haley (Missy Peregrym) is a rebellious 17-year-old arrested for some property damage.  As a minor, her father opts to enroll her in VGA, an elite gymnastics training camp, instead of military academy or juvie.  This is a blow to Haley, who walked away from the World Championship and the sport previously.  She is put in the care of Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges), the head coach of VGA who is better at dazzling gymnasts' mothers with pipe dreams of Olympic gold than he is with actually getting girls on the medal stand.  With the help of her two friends Poot (John Patrick Amedori) and Frank (Kellan Lutz), Haley will navigate the cutthroat world of competition gymnastics to find personal redemption and a chance to stick it to the Man.

This is a fun, fluffy bit of celluloid from the writer of Bring It On.  You probably won't remember a lot of it later but it'll put you in a good mood for watching Team USA (or your country of choice) on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment