Saturday, August 4, 2012

Strange Days (1995)

  We've seamlessly roped Christy in to our revolving duty of picking a nightly movie.  She picked Puss in Boots on Saturday so Rob and I watched that again with her.  Unfortunately, that means that she and I were subject to his pick.  FYI, this is a terrible movie.  Rob has been all over me to watch this for like a week now.  He was having a terrible time trying to find a copy of it so I actually bought it for him on Amazon before he managed to find a version online.  Looking back, I feel like the universe was trying to save us from it but of course we didn't listen.

Lenny (Ralph Fiennes) is a virtual reality clip purveyor in the wasteland of 1999 L.A. just before the year's end.  When one of his friends is murdered and the clip anonymously delivered to him, he becomes involved in tracking down her killer/s in between mooching rides off his friend Mason (Angela Bassett) and stalking his ex-girlfriend (Juliette Lewis). 

Honestly, this whole film comes across as beyond dated.  I mean, it might have seemed cutting edge at the end of the 80's but 95?  Come the fuck on!  Everybody knew virtual reality was a dead-end by then.  I'm fairly certain the sci-fi junk was just poor window dressing for Kathryn Bigelow (Oscar-winning director of The Hurt Locker) to make a movie about race relations in L.A. in the mid-nineties before she realized that she could just make the movie and win a fucking Oscar for it.

We're moving into our new apartment tomorrow!  Yay!  I wrote this post on Monday of last week but didn't get it done before my deadline so it carried over til today and then I almost forgot because I was busy doing all the initial moving stuff.  But it's up now.  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment