Sunday, March 15, 2015

Whiplash (2014)

Nominated for:  Best Supporting Actor (winner), Best Film Editing (winner), Best Sound Mixing (winner), Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Picture      Finally got to watch the last Best Picture nominee from this year.  J.K. Simmons completely deserved that Oscar and might be my new favorite villain.

Andrew (Miles Teller) is a young man with only one dream:  to become the next world-renown jazz drummer.  He is a first-year student at the prestigious Shaffer Conservatory and catches the eye of the school's most notorious jazz conductor, Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons).  What at first seems like a fast track to stardom becomes a nightmare as Fletcher systematically breaks him down psychologically in the aims of creating a genius.

I cannot stress this enough.  J.K. Simmons gives the most evil performance I have seen all year.  It's worse because it's so realistic.  These people exist and would love nothing more than to destroy those around them.  They cannot be trusted.  They will use any information you give them against you.

That warning aside, holy shit this is a great movie.  I might have to own it just so I can watch Simmons again.  The man spews insults like a gatling gun.  Oh, and Paul Reiser is in this.  Remember Mad About You?  My mom loved that show.  I barely recognized him until he started talking.  If you like jazz, this will probably mean more to you.  I've never played an instrument so I can't say I really "feel" the struggle this character goes through but I understand the concept of living and dying for your art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment