Monday, March 2, 2015

The Equalizer (2014)

I bought this as soon as it came out.  Normally, I would wait at least a year to re-post a review but I haven't seen anything else since Friday, hence no post yesterday.  It's one of those things where I got way behind on my TV DVR because I was trying to watch the Oscar nominees so now I'm playing catch-up.  The good news is that I just bing-watched seven episodes of Elementary, which has become a show I very much enjoy.

There's not much to add to my original impression of The Equalizer.  I still love Marton Csokas's character, especially his suits.  He never looks disheveled or out of place, despite having pretty much his entire job go to shit on him.  Also, he breaks out an American accent halfway through that is as glorious as it is unexpected.  These are two titans going head to head and it is awesome.  Original post:  09/28/14  I went to see this yesterday, hoping that it would be good and betting on mediocre.

It was fantastic.

Robert McCall (Denzel Washington) is just a guy.  He works at a big box home improvement store by day and reads in a diner by night.  He's friendly and always willing to help people who ask.  But when working girl, Teri (Chloe Grace Moretz), ends up in the hospital after her Russian mob pimp (David Meunier) beats the shit out of her, Robert cannot stand idly by.  The Russian mob is not known for turning a blind eye, however, and sends their fixer, Teddy (Marton Csokas), over to Boston to straighten things out.

This had all the goodness of Man on Fire only without the guilt.  Robert is not a guy who feels sorry for himself.  He is a guy who makes positive changes on the world.  Sometimes those changes are made in blood, but he never shrinks, never hesitates once he decides on a course of action.

Of course, a good hero needs a good villain and Csokas is as good as it gets.  He's so cool, so controlled, so matter-of-fact.  I'm not going to lie.  I might have a tiny evil crush on his character now.

No comments:

Post a Comment