Saturday, May 13, 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 (2017)

  I actually saw this last weekend with my friend Hollie but I'm just now getting around to posting about it.  It was my last official week of school this semester and I just quit my job so it was a busy week.  I start a new job on Monday and a new semester in two weeks so don't get your hopes up just yet that I'm going to be able to start posting five or six reviews a week like I used to, before school.

Hopefully, all of you have seen this by now.  For you few holdouts, get on it.  This movie is awesome.

On the run from the Sovereign, Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) and the Guardians crash on a distant planet.  They are met there by Ego (Kurt Russell), a celestial being who reveals that he is Peter's father.  Gamora (Zoe Saldana) is not entirely convinced, but knows that Quill needs the closure one way or another.  She, Quill and Drax (Dave Bautista) go to Ego's planet and meet Mantis (Pom Klementioff), an empath raised by Ego.  Meanwhile, Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) work on repairing the ship.  Splitting the party is bad news, however, as Yondu (Michael Rooker) and the Ravagers are closing in.  Nebula (Karen Gillen) also has an axe to grind against Gamora.  And the High Priestess of the Sovereign (Elizabeth Debicki) is also hunting them.  Some days you just can't catch a break.

This was much more emotional than I expected.  There are a lot of daddy issues, as you might have guessed, but it never feels cloying or like a sad Hallmark movie.  In fact, some of the most powerful emotional moments come either during something funny or tense.  And then funny things happen during tense or sad moments.  It's like a roller coaster in the dark.

And yes, there are five post-credit sequences.  Stay for all of them.  A couple probably won't make sense if you're not a comic reader but you can Google them afterwards (I know I did).

No comments:

Post a Comment