Saturday, May 20, 2017

There Will Be Blood (2007)

There Will Be Blood Poster.jpg  I hated this movie.  I know it won like all of the awards and Daniel Day Lewis is amazing, but I hated this movie.

Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis) was a moderately successful gold miner until he became an incredibly successful oil prospector.  A young man named Paul (Paul Dano) comes to him with a claim that his family's farm is sitting on top of a huge oil reserve, so Plainview moves out to investigate.  He finds that Paul's family is run by Eli (also Paul Dano), a religious fanatic willing to trade the oil rights for cash so he can build his church.  Eli and Plainview develop a somewhat symbiotic if hate-filled relationship.

Every character in this movie is so unsympathetic you'll actually be relieved when they do awful things so you can hate them properly.

I have never been a fan of character dramas, although I have made exceptions if I really felt a connection with a particular plot or character.  Not here.  This goes in the same category as The Social Network of "Movies Critics Loved That I Found Inexplicably Awful and Boring."

No comments:

Post a Comment