Friday, October 26, 2012

TV anyone?

So I totally whiffed on a post for last Monday.  I was supposed to watch The Raven but it turned out that we didn't actually have The Raven.  Since I owed you guys a post, I thought I'd do a TV update since I haven't done one of those since I got cable back.

Backstory:  I got really poor and had to turn off my cable.  Then I knew I was going to be moving and just decided not to turn it back on until we got into the new place.

I know I'm late to the party on this but Breaking Bad is friggin' awesome.    I just watched the first season on Netflix and, although far too short, it was totally worth all the praise that was heaped on it.  If you've been living under a rock (or have no cable), it's about a former Las Alamos chemist turned high school teacher named Walter White (Bryan Cranston) who learns that he has lung cancer.  Rather than leave his pregnant wife and disabled son penniless, he starts cooking crystal meth with a former student named Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul).  It's like Weeds but with more killing.

Over on Rob's server, I'm slowly making my way through season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  You want to talk about a time capsule.    Hello, late 90's.  Ugh.  I never watched this show when it was airing.  Mostly because I was a snob, even then.  I really loved the movie and sneered at the thought of a TV spin-off.  I know there are legions of dedicated fans who will probably blast me for my next comment but I still think I made the right decision.  Watching it at 30 does not pack the same punch that 16 would have.  I just want to slap all of these people and tell them to shut the hell up.  Especially that Xander (Nicholas Brendan) kid.  I want to beat him to death with a tire iron.  Almost despite myself, I find Oz (Seth Green) and to a lesser degree Willow (Alyson Hanigan) to be quite watchable.  This is why I own three seasons of Robot Chicken and none of Buffy.

As far as the Fall 2012 new TV line-up, Go On was a surprising hit and our new favorite sitcom.  Arrow seems like it could shape into a winner, where the rebooted 80's show Beauty and the Beast crashed and burned.  Partners was cute but it just didn't survive the DVR cut.  On the drama front, Elementary is miles and away the forerunner.  What do you think of the new offerings?  Leave me comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment