Sunday, January 13, 2013

A View to a Kill (1985)

  I know, this isn't an Oscar nominee.  This is one of the two discs I had at home so I had to go ahead and watch it so Netflix will send me more.

It does drive me a little bananas to know that there are only two more after this and now I have to wait until after I watch the other 9 in my queue.

James Bond (Roger Moore, for the last time) recovers a Soviet prototype of a sophisticated new microchip from the body of 003 in Siberia, which is traced back to the mysterious polymath Max Zorin (Christopher Walken).  Other than hardware manufacturing, Zorin also breeds and races horses.  He is known in those circles for having extremely good luck with bloodlines considered inferior.  Bond goes to investigate with Sir Godfrey Tibbett (Patrick Macnee) and discovers that Zorin is implanting tiny booster shots into his racehorses, controlled by a microchip in the jockey's whip.  He also discovers the mysterious and beautiful Stacey Sutton (Tanya Roberts), but not what connection she has to Zorin.

Eventually, the trail leads him to California, where Zorin has been flooding his oil wells with seawater. Stacey, a geologist, has a lawsuit against Zorin for taking her family's business, since some of those wells used to belong to her grandfather.  Between the two of them, they figure that Zorin plans to flood the wells over the San Andreas fault, causing a seismic event that would destroy Silicon Valley, leaving him the sole manufacturer of all the microchips ever.

I'm pretty sure this is a dumb plan, but it's young, skinny, strangely hot Christopher Walken so I'm going to let it go.  I will say, you should never trust a man who owns his own zeppelin.  Pretty sure you're required to be a supervillain to even apply for a permit for one.

At over 2 hours, this is one of the longest Bond films I've sat through and it's not one of the best by a long shot.  Still, it's campy fun and Grace Jones is in it as Zorin's bodyguard/mistress.

No comments:

Post a Comment