Sunday, January 25, 2015

Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

  This is one of those comedies that just gets better with age.  For instance, when I first saw this back in 2005 or 2006, I had no idea who Amy Adams was, so I never noticed her in this movie.  Seeing it again, I am pleasantly surprised to find her there, like she just snuck in at some point in the last decade.

A documentary crew travels to a small Minnesota town to do a piece on the levels within a national beauty pageant by filming local candidates.  Among these hopefuls is unassuming sweetheart Amber Adkins (Kirsten Dunst).  Amber wants to be a newscaster like her idol, Diane Sawyer, and hopes to win a scholarship.  But she faces stiff competition from the town's reigning princess, Rebecca Leeman (Denise Richards), whose mother (Kirstie Allie) is running the pageant and whose father (Sam McMurray) practically runs the town.  The documentary crew also catches footage of strange accidents that seem to befall some of the contestants, and begin to think that a more sinister conspiracy is afoot.

This is one of those movies that I never think about buying when I'm out, but that I kind of wish I owned.  If only because it is so hard to find a good mockumentary.  Everything in this film is pitch perfect, from the main performances down to the smallest part.  Allison Janney is amazing and if you only know Mindy Sterling as Frau Farbissina from the Austin Powers movies, you really need to check her out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment