Sunday, December 6, 2015

Happy Feet Two (2011)

Back just before Rob and I broke up, I was concerned that he would take his server (with all the free movies and TV shows I had come to rely on) with him.  I started buying movies that I had seen on the server that I liked, in case I wanted to watch them again.  He ended up cloning me a copy of everything he had, which was very nice, so I didn't have to buy this but whatever.  Eventually, I'll figure out how to transfer all my movies to digital so I can use the shelves for books but that day is not today.

I don't really have anything extra to add about this movie.  It's still just as cute as when I originally saw it.  The message of global warming affecting the habitats of animals is much more subtle, compared to the first movie.  I know to notice this because my friend won't let her kids watch Happy Feet due to its "liberal agenda".  That is a true story.    Originally posted 5/12/14  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Happy_Feet_Two_Poster.jpg  I almost forgot to get this posted!  This is what happens when I get sucked into watching seasons of TV shows.  I've now gone through seasons one of Grimm and Hannibal, and seasons two and three of Chuck.  Hannibal was absolutely amazeballs and I can't wait to see the second season.

It took me this long to watch the sequel to Happy Feet because I was convinced it couldn't live up to its predecessor.  It does feel a little derivative, but the addition of some excellent supporting cast makes it worth buying.

Now happily married, Mumble (Elijah Wood) and Gloria (Alecia Moore aka P!nk) have their own chick, Erik (Ava Acres), who is struggling to find his place in the Emperor Penguin world.  He has not shown a talent for dance or singing and fears the ridicule of adults.  When Mumble's constantly-striking-out friend Ramon (Robin Williams) decides to go back to his own tribe, Erik and his two friends follow.  The Adelie Penguin tribe has discovered a new hero in the meantime, Sven (Hank Azaria), a mysterious Northern refugee who can fly.  Erik immediately becomes his biggest fan, much to Mumble's chagrin.  He shepherds the children home again, but discovers that a calved glacier has crashed into Emperor Land and trapped the rest of the penguins.  Without aid, they will all starve to death.

Ok, the best characters in the entire film are voiced by Brad Pitt and Matt Damon as a pair of krill, Will and Bill, who leave the safety of the swarm in search of adventure.  They don't get musical numbers but every scene with them is hilarious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment