Sunday, April 8, 2018

Z (1969)

Image result for z 1969  I don't know why I'm finding this movie so hard to write about.  I tried to put it up last Monday and couldn't get started on it.  I tried to put it up yesterday and only got as far as the poster.  I refuse to be defeated.  It is going up today even if all I have to say about it is "Movie good.  See movie."

When the leader of a leftist organization (Yves Montand) is killed during a demonstration, an independent magistrate (Jean-Louis Trintignant) is called in to head the mandatory investigation.  Tempers are running high on both sides, eye witness accounts are wildly misleading, as is usual, but the magistrate finds that there is a deeper conspiracy afoot and what seemed like a tragic accident is actually political assassination.

This is based on true events that happened just before a right-wing military coup in Greece.  I don't pretend to be familiar with Greek politics so I found it a little confusing until I realized that it all basically boils down to people in power being afraid that their power is going to be taken away.  That's pretty universal.

There are a lot of lists that say things like "10 Films You Have to See Before You Die," "Films You Have to See to be a Film Person," "Top 10 Films to Prove to Your Friends How Smart You Are," and whatnot.  I've never really done anything like that because I firmly recognize that film -like all art- is subjective.  However, I do think that this film in particular should be seen by any and everyone.  Like it, love it, hate it, just don't get it -- it's important that you see it and form an opinion.  The world is political, like it or not, and there's really no standing on the sidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment