Monday, September 21, 2020

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (2014)

  I will freely admit I have never heard of Glen Campbell.  He was hugely popular in the 60s and 70s and my mom remembers him very fondly from the Smothers Brothers and when he had his own TV variety show but that was long over and done by the time I was born.  

This documentary doesn't cover a lot of his early career and it's not some Hollywood retrospective.  It's a snapshot of Campbell's life in his 70s with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's embarking on his last tour.  The fact that it's about a musical legend is probably what got it funding but it's really only incidental that it's Glen Campbell and more about how devastating Alzheimer's is for caregivers and family.  

It's not a super fun watch, is what I'm saying.  But it is engaging and you can clearly see that Campbell was a hell of a showman in his day as well as an incredibly gifted guitarist.  I don't know much about music but even I can recognize a talent that obvious.  It's currently streaming on Hulu.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment