Saturday, December 26, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

 Happy day after Christmas!  Hope everyone who celebrated did so safely within their bubble or used the appropriate technology to visit.  I video chatted with my family and I have to say it felt exactly the same as being there except better because I could drink my coffee and play with my cats at the same time.

One of my family's holiday traditions is to go to the movies and this year, I went to my couch.  There has been a lot of controversy over Warner Bros. decision to release their 2020 and 2021 movies digitally at the same time as in theaters.  I won't presume to know the ins-and-outs of the business decisions behind it or speculate on how this will affect theaters in the future.  Personally, I really appreciated not having to deal with other people, closed captions, and the ability to pause.

Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) has settled into the decades following WWI with skill if not enthusiasm.  She works as an anthropologist at the Smithsonian and moonlights as Wonder Woman, stopping crime in the streets of D.C.  One of those crimes was a robbery of black market antiquities fronting as a mall jewelry store.  One of the artifacts, a rather unremarkable citrine, ends up at the museum in the hands of the resident gemologist, Barbara Minerva (Kristen Wiig).  Between the two, Barbara and Diana translate the stone's band to reveal that it is capable of granting wishes.  Neither initially believes it's the real deal but failing pyramid schemer Max Lord (Pedro Pascal) is convinced it can turn his life around and he will stop at nothing to use the power of the stone.

Is this the best Wonder Woman movie?  Not by a long shot.  Is this even a good sequel?  Not really.  It is exceptionally saccharine, none of the physics makes sense, and it feels overly long.  Do you know what was great about it, though?  I managed to sit through the entire thing in one shot.  In a year where I have really struggled to watch movies and have DNF'd more than any year since I've been doing this blog, I watched all two and a half hours of WW84 without being bored, frustrated, or stressed.  Merry Christmas to me.

Also, Chris Pine.  In a fannypack.  Worth the subscription to HBO Max right there.  

Wonder Woman 1984 is currently streaming on HBO Max until 24 Jan and in theaters.

1 comment:

  1. Chris Pine was probably the best part of the movie for me

    ReplyDelete