Wednesday, March 2, 2022

House of Gucci (2021)

Nominated for Best Hair and Makeup    The way I see this happening was like this:

Ridley Scott: Hey, Joel, you making another movie?
Joel Coen: Yeah, doing The Tragedy of Macbeth.
RS: I could step in, help you out.
JC: Um, I'm all good, Rid. Thanks, though.
RS: Fine! I don't need you! I'm gonna make my own Macbeth! With espresso! And hookers!

Patrizia (Lady Gaga) marries Mauricio (Adam Driver), one of the heirs to the Gucci clothing empire.  She is immediately drawn in to the family business, reluctantly dragging her husband with her.  Things are all good until Patrizia's cutthroat ways alienate Mauricio, who benefitted tremendously from them, and he decides to cut her loose.  Incensed, Patrizia hires a couple of hit men to revenge herself on her ex.

It's all very messy and Shakespearean and tacky in that 1980s way.  Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance for such things.  Gaga does a good job.  People made a lot of noise about Jared Leto but I think it's mostly because Leto is a polarizing figure.  I'm pretty sure he's kind of a douchebag in real life but honestly, he's not a bad actor.  He's playing a pathetic clown and it's believable.  Everybody else was mostly tasteful, living up to their reputations.  

It's not streaming anywhere so I had to buy it on DVD.  It's definitely not worth shelling out for blu-ray but a rental wouldn't do you wrong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment