Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hard Candy (2005)

  I love, love, love this movie but I realize that it is not for everyone.  It has a one-two punch of a plot, disturbing to both men and women.  From my repeated viewings, I've found that women are generally uncomfortable in the beginning of the film where men don't get the full experience until about two-thirds through. 

The Three Stages of Hard Candy:

I was initially shown this film by a boyfriend who, if possible, was an even bigger film buff than I.  I remember tucking myself into a ball as far away on the couch as I could get from him, muttering about how much I fucking hated him for showing me this and what the hell was wrong with him anyway.  That was stage one.

Stage two began with the first twist.  I unfolded from the fetal position and leaned forward, confused and a little concerned.  Had I missed something?  What the hell was going on?  I was cautious, though.  Was I being baited only to be hit with more of the same creepiness?

By stage three, I was completely hooked, on the edge of my seat, eyes riveted to the screen.  I don't think I took a breath until the credits rolled.  I still felt like I needed a scrub with a Brilo pad but I no longer wished to kill my boyfriend.  In fact, I couldn't wait to get home so I could force my roommate to watch it.

I have inflicted this movie on several people since that day in 2007, most of them men.  It's become a personal litmus test for me.  Can you take it?  Can you appreciate it?  Are you worthy?  Fortunately, I either overestimate the impact or I have extremely good judgment of character, since I've only ever had one person be completely nonplussed.  Frankly, that lack of reaction made me wonder about him.  My most recent victim was my new paramour.  He liked Behind the Mask so I figured I'd up the ante.  He acquitted himself well in this challenge, which was most impressive.

"But Lucy," you say, "you haven't told us anything about the movie.  What is the plot?"

This is a valid point.  I really don't want to tell you at the risk of giving away too much.  I will tell you that the cast is sublime.  It takes actors of very high calibur to carry a movie this intense and do it all with only two main roles and two supporting.  Ellen Page proved she was outstanding in Juno, but here she is absolutely riveting as precocious, dangerously intelligent 14-year-old Hayley.  I had not seen Patrick Wilson in a lot of things so I was unprepared for how good he would be here as Jeff the 30-year-old photographer.  Because of this, I was optimistic about his role in Watchmen when it got announced.  Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy and Odessa Rae (billed as Jennifer Holmes for some reason) add increasing amounts of tension in their few moments of screen time but the bulk of the movie is Page and Wilson. 

Go ahead, give this one a shot.  You may be disgusted, distrubed, and defiled but you will definitely be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment