Sunday, March 6, 2011

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2009)

  Due to the Oscar rush, I missed the Christy Experiment for February.  So she gets two for March.

Now, for those just joining us, the Christy Experiment is when my cousin Christy tries to humanize me with exposure to movies that she loves.  So far, it's not sticking but you never know.  This movie represents a slight departure, seeing as she didn't particularly care for the film but she wanted me to give it a shot and see what I thought.

I thought it was crap.

It's written and directed by John Krasinski, or Jim from The Office.  I don't watch that show and I don't know anything else about the man other than he's married to Emily Blunt from Sunshine Cleaning and that he looks like a young Craig Bierko.  Honestly, if this is the caliber of his work, he should go back to waiting tables.

The movie has no point, and barely even a plot.  It's a series of monologues by random men, taken in the name of science by a woman who was dumped by her boyfriend.  Purportedly, it gives insight into the way men feel about women but all I learned was that men are opportunistic assholes and what they know about women could be carried in a thimble with no fear of it sloshing over the edges.  Which I already knew.

It's not all pretension and hubris, though.  The piece featuring Frankie Faison talking about his father, the bathroom attendant, is beautifully poignant and there are a few genuinely funny moments.  However, most of it is banal when it's not insulting.

Definitely avoid this one.

1 comment:

  1. Ok dude, harsh.

    If the experiment isn't working, why continue it?

    ReplyDelete