Saturday, March 31, 2012

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Nominated for:  Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Art Direction  I'm not usually a Woody Allen fan.  I think that the humor is usually good and they're witty but they're generally too overwrought for my tastes.  This one wasn't.  I found it alluring.  It drew me in, but that may have been due to the fact that it's set in my favorite city in the world.

I love Paris.  I have only been once but from the moment I set foot there I felt I was completely at home.  Just thinking about it makes me all dreamy.

Gil (Owen Wilson) is a Hollywood screenwriter who comes to Paris with his girlfriend (Rachel McAdams) and her parents so he can work on his novel.  He romanticizes the Roaring 20's when writers and artists flocked to the city to work and play, but his fiancee could not give a damn about any of that.  One night, while on a midnight walk, Gil accidentally strays into the time period he most loves.  He pals around with Hemingway (Corey Stall), gets his novel critiqued by Gertrude Stein (Kathy Bates), and philosophizes with Salvador Dali (Adrien Brody).  While out, he meets the lovely Adriana (Marion Cotillard), artists' muse, and begins to question the life he is headed toward.

There are a ton of cameos including Carla Bruni, Tom Hiddleston, and Gad Elmelah.  I wouldn't have said this was the Best Picture of the year but it was easily the most watchable.  It was an utterly effortless blending of fantasy and reality which is exactly how I feel when I think of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment