Sunday, April 1, 2012

50/50 (2011)

  I threw this one in my queue after the Golden Globes nominations because I will watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt in anything. At the time, I was a little surprised this didn't get a single Oscar nom. After having watched it, I will agree that it probably doesn't deserve any. It's still a good movie, just not quite at the level where I thought "Hey, this deserves some statues." 

Adam (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a normal 27-year-old dude whose world is rocked when he discovers that he has a rare form of cancer.  His best friend (Seth Rogan) is quick to capitalize on the diagnosis, playing for sympathy with every girl he sees.  His mom (Anjelica Huston) is distraught.  His artist girlfriend (Bryce Dallas Howard) has no idea how to cope.  Not that Adam does, either.  He gets a fresh-from-school therapist (Anna Kendrick) to try and help him muddle through dealing with chemo, trying to relate to others, and generally coming to terms with the idea that he might not make it to 28.

It covers a lot of ground, from funny to sad, and is based on a true story.  I didn't know that last part until I looked it up on IMDb.com a couple of minutes ago but everything in it feels genuine.  I would definitely recommend this if you're looking for a film that will make you feel better about your own life.  Unless you have cancer.  Then you can watch whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment