Monday, February 17, 2014

All is Lost (2013)

Nominated for:  Best Sound Editing    You could do a double feature of this and Gravity and then never leave your house again.

After last year's Life of Pi disappointment, I was not looking forward to seeing yet another person adrift in the ocean, even if it is the Sundance Kid.  And yet, this managed to be more arresting than a CGI tiger.

A man (Robert Redford) wakes up as his sailboat is taking on water.  A floating cargo container full of tennis shoes has collided with his boat out in the Indian Ocean.  Alone, he must find a way to survive through storms, sharks, and sunstroke.

My question is who the fuck sails halfway around the world by themselves? I get that everyone needs alone time, but wouldn't you want somebody nearby to watch out at night at least?  More reasons why I can never be rich.  If a container ship of sweatshop shoes wrecked my million-dollar boat, I'd be on the phone to my lawyer so fast.  Not the Coast Guard, not the U.S. Navy, but my lawyer.  Who do you even call for help when you're stranded in international waters?  Is it the Navy?  A navy?  AAA?

There was technically no dialogue in this movie because Robert Redford is the only one who talks and then only a couple of times.  He must be the most silent man on the planet, because when I lived alone I talked to myself out loud all the time.  There was also a lot less crying and cursing than I would have been doing.  Good thing it was him and not me.

I don't know why this movie isn't getting the kind of awards love as Gravity.  Maybe it's just too similar, maybe the Academy secretly hates Robert Redford, or hates yachts.  Apparently, comedian Louis C.K. hated it.  Here's the audio from his interview on the Opie and Anthony Show:  http://youtu.be/F5uNtBoeAKM.  I was trying to embed the actual clip but it is not cooperating.  He makes some good points that I, as a non-boating person, would maybe not think of while watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment