Saturday, February 22, 2014

Lone Survivor (2013)

Nominated for:  Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing    Sound editing and mixing are two technical areas I will fully admit I don't know much about.  I'm lucky if I even pay attention to the score.  Given the types of movies that usually get nominated, I'm guessing they have to do more with adding the ambient sounds and special effects sounds and integrating them into the overall movie.  If so, then they did a really good job here because you can hear every zip and whine of a gunshot round as it's fired.

This is the last Oscar nominee still in theaters where I live, minus the special screening of all the Best Picture nominees a local theater is doing starting this weekend.  I had planned to see a lot more of them when they were in theaters but, to use a military adage, a first plan rarely survives contact with the enemy.  You adjust and you move on.  I did manage to see this one, however.

Four highly trained special operations members, led by Lt Mike Murphy (Taylor Kitsch).  With him are radioman Danny Dietz (Emile Hirsch), and gunners Matt Axelson (Ben Foster) and Marcus Luttrell (Mark Wahlberg).  They are sent into the upper provinces of Afghanistan in order to locate and possibly kill Taliban leader Ahmad Shah (Yousuf Azami).  Unfortunately, their position is discovered by goat herders and the four men are forced to run for their lives.  The title pretty much spells it out after that.

This would be an excellent counterpoint to watch with Dirty Wars.  This is fictionalized, of course, but Marcus Luttrell is a real person who really had this happen to him.  I just think it's interesting to see it from both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment