Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)

  I don't normally post outside my stated days (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday) but there was a lot going on this weekend and I missed two out of the three.  That sucks and I'm sorry.  On Sunday, I went to AwesomeCon in D.C. and spent way too much money and had way too much fun.  Then I went to my friend's house and watched The LEGO Batman Movie, forced them to watch the first episode of Preacher and then we all watched the finale of American Gods.  Monday I slept for 12 hours.

I loved THE FUCK out of LEGO Batman.  Oh my holy minifig Jesus, I loved that movie.

Batman (Will Arnett) seems to have the perfect life, but is struggling with loneliness and isolation.  His faithful butler, Alfred (Ralph Fiennes), wants him to connect with people again and face his greatest fear:  (no, not snake-clowns) losing the ones he cares about.  Meanwhile, the Joker (Zach Galifinakis), angry that Batman doesn't value their antagonistic relationship, hatches a plan to get sent to the Phantom Zone and release all the worst villains, including Voldemort (Eddie Izzard), King Kong (Seth Green), and Sauron (Jemaine Clement).  Batman must team up with Robin (Michael Cera) and Batgirl (Rosario Dawson) if he hopes to have a chance to save Gotham City.

Most spin-off movies are trash fire abominations but this was stupid adorable.  There were so many references to all previous Batman lore, including the entire back catalog of villains (Condiment King!), as well as tons of other random LEGO characters.  Because you really need something like 60 years of historical knowledge to fully appreciate the jokes, this was less kid-friendly than adult-.  Not that there's anything inappropriate, just obscure.

I absolutely 100% recommend this movie to anyone with even a passing interest in Batman.  It is amazing and you will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment