Saturday, June 3, 2017

Psycho II (1983)

  I read somewhere that this was an underrated horror classic.  Whoever said that was a liar.  This is a terrible movie.  Anthony Perkins deserved so much better than this.

Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) is released from the mental institution after twenty years.  His release is protested strongly by Lila Loomis (Vera Miles), sister to murder victim Marion Crane.  Bates moves back to his house but gets a job as a dishwasher in town, leaving the running of the motel to a manager (Dennis Franz).  When Bates finds out the manager has been using the motel for prostitution and drugs, however, he fires the man.  He also strikes up a friendship with a young woman, Mary (Meg Tilly).  Things seem to be looking up.  And then the murders start again, along with a series of phone calls from his dead mother.

I'm so mad about this.  The original Psycho is one of my favorite movies ever made and this just spits in the face of its legacy.  I'm sure the filmmakers thought they were doing something clever but it's like watching toddlers finger paint over a Van Gogh.  The special effects are terrible and cheesy, the plot is stupid, and certain scenes are lifted directly from the original.  I'm sure it's supposed to be an homage but it's plagiarism.  The whole thing is derivative and awful.  I'm sorry I ever heard of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment