Sunday, June 11, 2017

Canadian Double Feature

This weekend, I took a little time away from freaking out about managing my work schedule and my course load to do a double feature honoring the Great White North with my friend Hollie, her husband, and her friend, Tyler.  They had not seen Logan and I had not seen Strange Brew.  My review for Logan is at the link.  Keep reading for Strange Brew.

Strange Brew (theatrical poster).jpg  Brothers Bob (Rick Moranis) and Doug MacKenzie (Dave Thomas) have no further ambitions in life than to get free beer, so they go to a local brewery with a mouse in a bottle.  What they don't know is that the brewery owner has recently died and left everything to his only daughter, Pam (Lynne Griffin).  Pam is inexplicably charmed by the two bumblers and gets them jobs in quality assurance.  The two then accidentally uncover a plot by the brewmaster (Max von Sydow) to add a mind-controlling substance to the final product that will render consumers into mindless drones.  You know, alcohol.

I'm not going to lie.  I totally drifted off during the middle parts of the movie.  There was some kind of arcade game that detailed the murder of the owner, chess with hockey players, secret tunnels, and a riot at an insane asylum.  I was warm, filled with steak and booze, and up past my bedtime.

It was cute enough during the parts that I saw, but I obviously wasn't riveted by the characters.  We probably should have watched that one first, but Logan is so goddamn depressing that I suggested we do the comedy as a chaser.  And then I fell asleep.  Which is bizarre on several levels.  I never fall asleep during movies.  Ever.  Usually, if a movie is on, I can't fall asleep even if I wanted to.  And I fell asleep in front of someone I didn't know.  Also, totally out of character for me.  That's how bad school has messed me up.  So I'd like to officially apologize to Hollie et al. for falling asleep and not paying attention to the movie they picked.  I will be more awake next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment