Sunday, May 23, 2010

Planet B-Boy (2007)



I'm not generally big on documentaries. I watched a couple this year for the Oscars but that's about it. I have to be really interested in a topic to seek out a doc for it. This is because I watch movies to be entertained, not informed. If I want information, I'll read a book.

Planet B-Boy is an okay documentary. It is kind of a misnomer, though. It basically chronicles a handful of teams that make it to the 2007 Battle of the Year in Braunschweig, Germany. I guess I was expecting more of a global look at the origins of breakdancing. The movie only covers that in a very little piece at the beginning.

I'm sure all the dancers are great guys (there was only one b-girl that I saw and she could have passed for a dude even in good lighting) but I don't care about them. I don't need to know about their relationships with their families, or how much money they could make from their dancing if/when they "make it big". Do. Not. Care. I thought I was going to be seeing a documentary about the style of dance, not a biography of the people dancing. Maybe that's my fault for going in with specific expectations, but there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment