Friday, December 31, 2010

Bad Taste (1988)

  Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!  Here's to 2011!  I was supposed to be in Vegas this weekend with my friend, Bri, but she got pneumonia so I'm here in my apartment cleaning like a madman.  I don't know if this will be my only post for the night, you'll just have to wait and see.

Normally, I get two Netflix movies at a time, but I forgot to drop one of them in the mail so I won't get a replacement til Monday.  Why no post about that one?  It was Billy Jack and not worth the time it takes to write about.  Honestly, I hated it so much I didn't even want to make fun of it.

Bad Taste is indeed directed by Peter "Lord of Middle Earth" Jackson.  Before he was the Hobbit guy, he specialized in gory horror-comedy schlock.  There's Bad Taste, Dead Alive (a personal favorite), and Meet the Feebles (currently unavailable on Netflix).  Those are the only ones I've come across but if you know any others, drop me a comment about it.

This one concerns a secret government cell of operatives against a group of aliens who have come to New Zealand in order to harvest human meat for interstellar fast food.  No, really.  That's the plot.

The whole thing looks very film-school-no-one-is-getting-paid-in-anything-but-experience.  Much like Killer Klowns, the actors are easily the most amateur thing about the movie.  The special effects aren't really that bad, better than some SyFy Originals, and the tone is tongue-in-cheek throughout, saving the movie from the sin of taking itself too seriously.  It was like everybody knew it was going to be crap, but they all decided to do their best and make it entertaining crap.  I have to admit, I'm judging it by Dead Alive standards and it falls pretty short, but not a terrible film.  Better than Billy Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment