Friday, December 31, 2010

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

  Aw, God, why do I do this to myself?

This is seriously one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.  I think it beats out Sophie's Choice to be in my top 5.  I would absolutely hate it if it weren't so damn good.

The first time I saw it, I remember going cold at the pivotal moment like it was actually happening before my eyes.  I thought I was going to be sick.  This was my second viewing and it went a little better.  Mostly because I was cleaning and I found excuses to be out of the room when the worst parts were being shown.

I'm not a sports person.  Shocker, right?  I'm not team-oriented or competitive by nature; neither do I feel a particular affinity for a geographical location and thereby that place's team.  I just don't care.  That being said, I do enjoy some sports movies.  A League of Their Own was one of my favorites as a kid, as was Ladybugs (don't judge), I own Seabiscuit, and I've seen Rudy.  I didn't like it, but I saw it.  Based solely on the representative movies, I'd say that I like baseball, horse racing, soccer, and boxing.  No doubt someone will claim that is a shallow and specious determination but fuck 'em.  If somebody makes an awesome lacrosse movie, I'll totally watch it.

I'm not counting martial arts movies as sports movies because I am a HUGE fan of those and I'm pretty sure that would skew the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment