Saturday, February 28, 2015

I Am Number Four (2011)

I Am Number Four Poster.jpg  Lately, I've been nostalgia-binging on Beauty and the Beast, a short-lived TV show from the 80's starring Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.  That's right, Sarah Connor and Hellboy had a TV show together and it was glorious.  But, for whatever reason, my blu-ray decided to be a pain in the ass and stop streaming the other day.  So I took the opportunity to brush off another blast from the past.  Remember the Rob tag, which stopped abruptly last summer?  Before he left, Rob was kind enough to clone me a copy of his server containing all of the movies, TV, and anime he had downloaded.  I hadn't been using it because I didn't initially have all of the cables I needed to get it up and working.  Then I got them but I was too lazy to rearrange all my living room electronics in order to accommodate it.  Hence why it has taken the better part of a year for me to bring it back.

But, now, all of the planets have come into alignment and I have a wealth of new-ish media to choose from.  I had stopped watching with Hysteria so I thought it was only fitting to rejoin with the next one after that and kick off the letter I.

An alien (Alex Pettyfur), one of the nine left of his species, is being hunted by another group of aliens bent on wiping them from the face of the universe.  He has a protector (Timothy Olyphant) but chafes at the restrictions imposed on him in the name of safety.  Forced to move to Paradise, Ohio, the alien going by the name of John Smith meets a human girl (Dianna Agron) named Sarah.  He also starts developing his Legacy powers and must work to control them before he is exposed to his enemies.

This is not a great movie and I totally understand why it flopped at the box office.  Pettyfur still can't act his way out of a paper sack and other, better actors are just dragged down by his performance.  This was another of those failed YA adaptations that tried to capitalize on the success of Twilight before The Hunger Games came and showed them how it was done.  The one upshot here is Teresa Palmer, whom I hope to see more of in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment