Sunday, September 13, 2015

Mission: Impossible (1996)

MissionImpossiblePoster.jpg  Since I have recently seen the fifth installment of this series, I thought it would be fun to go back and watch the first one because I honestly couldn't remember a thing about it.

Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is in Prague trying to recover part of a list of undercover operative names with his team when the job goes bad.  He reports the deaths of his teammates to his home office supervisor, Kittredge (Henry Czerny), only to discover that the entire point of the operation was to flush out a mole in the organization.  As the only survivor, Hunt is assumed to be the mole.  He decides to steal the real list from CIA headquarters and pose as a disgruntled agent looking to sell.  Hunt hires disavowed former agents Luther (Ving Rhames) and Krieger (Jean Reno) to assist, as well as the other surviving member of his team, Claire (Emmanuelle Beart), in the near impossible task of clearing their names.

The technology in this film dates it faster than anything else.  The computers and tech are absolutely obsolete.  Once you forgive that, though, the CIA mainframe wire-from-the-ceiling stunt is still fantastic.  The CGI gets a little spotty during the final train sequence but doesn't detract from the suspense.

I had forgotten how young Tom Cruise looked.  Not that he's aged terribly in twenty years, he has too much money for that, but his face was so thin and smooth back then!  Bad haircut but hey, we've all been there.  Speaking of flashbacks, I totally forgot Emilio Estevez was in this movie.  Granted, he's only in it for a little while, but it opens on his face and that confused the shit out of me.  I had to remember that he still existed.

I bought the blu-ray set of all four M:I films back when I thought there were only going to be four, but I went ahead and watched this on the server because God only knows how long it'll take me to get to M in my personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment