Saturday, September 19, 2015

Mission: Impossible II (2000)

Mission Impossible II.jpg  We move on now to the second installment of this franchise.  I don't think I had seen this since it first came out.  I remembered the rock climb from the beginning (because I thought it was pointless) and Thandie Newton (because she's beautiful) and that was about it.  Oh, I also thought they used the face swap bit too often.

Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is on vacation when he is pulled in by his handler (Anthony Hopkins).  I know, I was surprised, too.  A scientist has created a super-virus named Chimera and a rogue IMF agent named Sean Ambrose (Dougray Scott) has stolen it.  The only person who can get close enough to Ambrose to get any intel is his ex-girlfriend, Nyah (Thandie Newton), a jewel thief.  Ethan must recruit Nyah to go undercover but finds himself a little too interested in the gorgeous burglar to be effective at his job.

John Woo directed this sequel and, boy, does it show.  He loves slo-mo, white doves, vulnerable but tough women, and high-octane ass-kicking.  Pretty sure that's also his Tinder profile.  Don't get me wrong, when it works, it works.  The action sequences in this are not as iconic as the one in the original but each one is beautifully shot and well-crafted.  The story is weaker, mostly because Ambrose is such a one-note villain, but they did bring back Luther (Ving Rhames) and that's always worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment