Saturday, May 28, 2016

Iron Man 3 (2013)

Okay, after some time to let the dust settle, I have to say that this is absolutely the weakest entry in the entire Marvel canon.  I know, it hurts me too.  It still has many lovely moments but taken as a whole it adds almost nothing to the universe.

I couldn't figure out the point of Rebecca Hall's character at all in this film.  There was already one major red herring so the inclusion of a second one just seemed stupid.  She is completely extraneous until you consider that the original script called for a female villain.  Marvel nixed the idea because they didn't think it would sell as many toys.  (That is actually true.)  Enter Aldrich Killian's (Guy Pearce) inclusion, eclipsing Hall's character.  It's a shame because the idea of a "power behind the throne" is much more typically feminine.

I would love to say that this is another stellar entry in an already stratospheric franchise but it was not allowed to be as awesome as it could have been.  And that's always a shame.  Originally posted 05 May 13.  Nominated for:  Best Visual Effects    Hell yes, I went to the midnight premiere.  Why am I only posting this now?  Well, because I had two other movies drafted and I like to keep a certain order.  Deal with it.  Plus, this gives everyone more time to have seen it already.

You have seen it, haven't you?  What are you waiting for?

If you've seen the first two, then you know exactly what you're getting.  After the events of The Avengers, Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) is having a hard time coming to terms with a much more expanded universe than he ever thought possible.  This manifests in night terrors, insomnia, and full-blown anxiety attacks.  His PTSD is also starting to have a negative effect on his relationship with Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow).  When his former bodyguard, Happy (Jon Favreau), is injured in a bomb blast orchestrated by shadowy Ten Rings leader, the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley), Tony finds an outlet for all his rage and frustration.  But global terrorism might not be the only game in town.

I'm not going to do any spoilers.  I have read interviews where RDJ has said that Avengers 2 will be the last appearance of Tony Stark, because he feels he's getting too old for the role.  I can understand that, because the man turned 48 this year.  If that is the case, then Iron Man 3 ends his arc on a great note.  There is some great character development and a real sense of completeness.  It's dark without feeling oppressive, funny without feeling slapstick, and still leaves room for a greater story to be told.  Christy thought that it was the best of the series so far.  I wouldn't go that far, since I still had a few issues with it.

One being the overuse of the Extremis special effect.  The red skin and glowing eyes were cool at first, but then they just got a little old.  There were a ton of new Iron Man suits but not enough time to really differentiate between them, so it kind of ended up looking like a hodgepodge.  This does not mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of this film, because I did.  Buying it is kind of a given, seeing as I'm completely invested in the Marvel series now but I would get this one ungrudgingly.

On a side note, I was seriously hoping that the Extremis storyline was kind of a build-up to a Swamp Thing movie.  I know Guillermo Del Toro has been in talks to do a Dark Universe film featuring that character, John Constantine, and Zatanna.  Wikipedia, however, tells me that I'm smoking crack and I should get a grip because that's not what's happening.  Sometimes reality is cruel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment