Monday, May 2, 2016

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

  Today I stumbled upon one of those rare gems:  the horror movie not billed as a horror movie.  Personally, I think that is a dirty trick on the part of the filmmaker to sucker people in and not give them all the facts up front.  This is listed as a drama and does not mention the pervasive creeping dread in every frame.  But because I love you all, I am willing to break this chain of silence.

Eva (Tilda Swinton) knows her fifteen-year-old son Kevin (Ezra Miller) is a monster.  She has always known.  But nobody believes her.  To everyone else, including her husband (John C. Reilly), Kevin is a normal boy, a bit temperamental maybe but basically good.  Eva knows better.  She knows what Kevin did to his little sister's guinea pig.  And she suspects Kevin is the reason her daughter lost an eye.  But what can she do with no proof, until it's all too late?

For real, this is one of the most disturbing films I've seen in a looooooooong time.  All I can say is that I am so grateful I don't have and never wanted kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment