Sunday, December 18, 2016

Stargate (1994)

I skipped the rest of the Star Wars movies because I want to see Rogue One in between Episodes III and IV.  I'm going to try and go this afternoon, but I have a lot of cleaning to do and I have to study for my last final tomorrow.  Next weekend is Christmas, which means I will be in Alabama with my family and may or may not be able to post anything.  I have to clean because I am having someone look in on my cat while I am gone and I can't let them see that I live like a trashcan raccoon.  I've never actually watched this movie all the way through.  I'd seen bits and pieces over the years and even a couple of episodes of the resulting TV series, but never actually sat down and watched the movie.  Shockingly, it still holds up.

A struggling Egyptologist (James Spader) gets the breakthrough of his life when he is asked to participate on research into an artifact that turns out to be an ancient teleportation device to the other end of the galaxy.  He joins a team of soldiers, led by Col Jack O'Neil (Kurt Russell), to explore the other side.  They find a race of human beings still speaking ancient Egyptian and worshipping an alien calling himself Ra (Jaye Davidson), the sun god.

The special effects are a little dated but nothing like what they should be, considering the age of this film.  Plus, it's nice to see Kurt Russell and James Spader in their prime again.  I don't know if Stargate is necessarily a "new classic" but it's at least worth watching.

1 comment:

  1. I'd consider it a Sci-Fi a classic. It spawned a pretty successful series, which, not a lot of movies can do. James Spader is wonderful in anything I see him in, and was the entire reason I started watching the Blacklist, and made the inner fangirl in me squeal everytime Ultron spoke. I didn't care for the TV series of Stargate, mostly because it had 100% less Spader, but, it had an audience. The movie does hold up, I think, because most of the effects were practical or classic effects. CG wasn't good enough in 1994 without a Terminator 2 budget.

    ReplyDelete