Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy Yule.  For my peeps celebrating Hanukkah, happy day 6!  I was at my family's house for Christmas running around, trying to see people, and doing that holiday thing so I didn't get to see a lot of movies.  The Legend of Tarzan poster.jpg  My mother wanted me to watch this with her, even though she had already seen it.  I was reluctant --not because I didn't want to watch it-- because she has a nasty habit of doing a running commentary through the entire film.  I swore her to silence and we proceeded apace.

Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgaard) has reclaimed his English title and name as Lord John Clayton, married Jane (Margot Robbie), and has generally given up his entire previous life as lord of the jungle until a delegation of lords requests that he return to Africa as an honored guest of the Belgian territory.  King Leopold of Belgium has claimed the entire center of the continent and sent his right-hand-man (Christoph Waltz) to secure the goods therein.  An American ambassador (Samuel L. Jackson) has serious reservations about the treatment of the locals and also petitions Tarzan for help.  Reluctantly, Tarzan bows to the pressure and returns to his birthplace only to discover that the request was a trap to deliver him into the hands of his sworn enemy (Djimon Honsou).

I'm going to have to watch this again.  There was just something off about the whole film.  I can't say it was bad but I don't know that it was good.  I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to watch it and really be engaged.  So I'm going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt and say that I will give it another shot at an unspecified point in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't watch this. I let Kevin Smith's buddy, LA Times film editor Marc Bernardin do it for me on the FMoB podcast. He made the point that there could have been an African love interest in there, and that was what he felt was lacking. Like, a reason for Tarzan to consider staying, aside from personal freedom. That being said, I'd give up the title of Jungle Lord for Margot Robbie any day.

    ReplyDelete