Saturday, December 10, 2022

Ant-Man (2015)

I think I've seen this now at least four times.  It remains one of the most fun entries in the MCU.  Quantumania is coming out in a couple of months and re-watching the original has renewed my interest in this series.  

The de-aging still blows me away,  but what really stood out to me this time was Cory Stoll as Yellowjacket.  He took a very formulaic villain and made him stand out.  Darren Cross was written as a soulless corporate megalomaniac and it would have been easy to just let the character be flat, but Stoll really added a layer of twisted joy and I think it made all the difference.

10/29/17  This is the first time I've rewatched this film and I still think it works well as a standalone.  I didn't really like Evangeline Lilly's character the first time I watched it but she has grown on me.  Especially since I've seen some of the behind-the-scenes shots of her getting ready for Ant-Man and the Wasp, which should be coming out next year, I believe.  I'm really excited about that one.  Best of all, it should be coming out after I graduate, so I might actually have the time and strength to go see it.  Originally posted 25 Jul 2015.    I actually saw this the Friday it was released.  Christy and her mom came up for her commencement ceremony and we went out the night before.  I had really mixed feelings going in.  This was a difficult production to get off the ground and the internet buzz surrounding the months leading up to its premiere was worrisome.  But initial reviews were glowing with praise so I decided to give it a chance.  It's not the best film Marvel has produced but it stands on its own.

Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) is a convicted thief.  Recently released, he struggles to find a stable enough job that will allow him to get back on his feet and convince his ex (Judy Greer) to give him visitation rights to his daughter (Abby Ryder Fortson).  His former cell mate, Luis (Michael Pena), has a line on a safe just begging to be cracked and Scott reluctantly agrees, only to find a weird suit inside.  This introduces him to the suit's creator, Dr. Henry Pym (Michael Douglas), who wants Scott to help him keep the technology out of the hands of his dangerously unstable protegee, Darren Cross (Cory Stoll).  Scott must learn to master the suit's powers in time to stop Cross selling the Pym particles to HYDRA.

As a heist movie, it's only okay.  As a comedy, it's hilarious.  Michael Pena steals every scene he is in and rapper T.I. is surprisingly charismatic.  Paul Rudd has the same sense of humor he has had since Clueless, which is not a bad thing.  It is a known quantity.

The movie weaves into the Marvel universe but feels a little forced, especially since they telegraph Ant-Man's involvement in the upcoming Captain America sequel with all the subtlety of a neon sign. On a completely unrelated note, the digital mapping they did to make Michael Douglas look younger for a flashback to the 80's was un-fucking-believably good.  The man is 71-years-old and he looked on the young side of 40.  That's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment