Saturday, December 31, 2022

Top Ten of 2022

 This was not my best year for posting movies but I did get more than in 2020, 2018, and 2010.  Out of 165 total, I saw 11 from 2022, which is convenient because that's one more than you need for a top ten list!  So let's review my picks.

10.  Top Gun: Maverick - Did we strictly need a sequel?  No.  (I snuck this in literally on the 30th so the full review is forthcoming.)  It is definitely a Top Gun movie, though, and worth a watch, just for the nostalgia factor.

9.  Bullet Train - This was fun but Brad Pitt needs to let go of being an action hero.  Man is 60 years old.

8.  Uncharted - A surprise, but a welcome one.  I liked the buddy aspect between Holland and Wahlberg.

7.  Black Adam - Oh, DC.  You keep trying!

6.  Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - This ended up being lower than I thought it was going to be because it made me sad every time I thought of it.

5.  Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Zombies!  Bruce Campbell!  Sam Raimi sneaking in horror!

4.  Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - This is kind of a cheat, but I did see it over Christmas.  Full review is coming (probably on Monday) but here's a teaser:  it's excellent and you should definitely watch it.  

3.  Weird:  The Al Yankovic Story - I love Al Yankovic and this was a hysterical "true" story that perfectly encapsulated why I love Weird Al.

2.  Prey - Just a great Predator movie.  Solid in every sense.  

1.  The Gray Man - This is particular to me because I am a sucker for assassin movies and I loved the interplay between Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling.  I would watch this a billion times.  

As always, this is completely subjective.  These are just the movies I loved (or at least, saw) this year.  Next year has some gems coming up as well.

M3GAN - killer dolls are always a good time

Shotgun Wedding - This is probably going to be stupid but it may be fun stupid.  Like a cross between the first half hour of The Punisher and Monster-in-Law.

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey - Let's get real, this is going to be horrible.  It's a horror take on Winnie the Pooh because the character went into the public domain.  Like next year is going to be wall-to-wall Sherlock Holmes stories because it is also going to go into public domain.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - I'm going to watch it.  Marvel has been very low-key in Phase 4 and I can't tell yet if it's just diminishing returns or if they're respecting the ebb and flow of story hype.

Cocaine Bear - Again, probably going to be stupid but high chance of it being funny stupid.

Creed 3 - Michael B. Jordan is going to direct and star.  Could be good, could be mid-tier.

Shazam!: Fury of the Gods - I am definitely going to have to watch Shazam again to remember what the hell happened but I'll probably watch the sequel.

John Wick: Chapter 4 - yeah.  Already has my money.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - Chris Pine singing?  Dungeons & Dragons?  Yes.

Renfield - I haven't heard a lot about this but it's Nicholas Hoult and Nicolas Cage so I'm down.

Evil Dead Rise - Even if this is just a blasphemous reimagining, that's still pretty on brand.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 - Again, I am on the Marvel ship until the inevitable iceberg.

The Little Mermaid - On the fence.  On the one hand, I am anti-Disney making ham-handed live-action remakes to retain copyright, but on the other, I love racist tears, so bring it on.

Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse - YES.

Elemental  - Eh.  It's the new Pixar but the concept just isn't wowing me.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Maybe this will be good.  I do not have high hopes.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One - Tom Cruise (also 60) is just going to keep making these until a stunt kills him.  

Oppenheimer - the next Christopher Nolan.  

Barbie - I wasn't going to see it, but the 2001 parody trailer kind of sold me on it.

The Marvels - More Kamala Khan!

The Last Voyage of the Demeter - Holy shit, this has been in development almost as long as I have been blogging.

Blue Beetle - new superheroes!

The Equalizer 3 - It's hypocritical but I don't mind Denzel Washington as aging action hero.  

The Nun 2 - The Nun was not great but neither was Annabelle and its sequel was amazing.  Maybe the same magic here.

The Expendables 4 -  Geriatric action heroes strike again!

Kraven the Hunter - Aaron Taylor-Johnson is going to re-invent himself in the Marvel universe from Quicksilver to Kraven.

Dune Part 2 - Space drugs!  Imperialism!  Worms!

The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes -  Nobody asked for a Hunger Games prequel and yet here we are.

Trolls 3 - I fucking love the Trolls movie.  I still haven't seen the sequel but I am already committed.

The Color Purple -  This is a movie version of the musical of the original stage play, which was already a movie.

Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom - this was supposed to come out this year but got pushed.  Maybe they'll fix some of the CGI issues.

So that's next year's upcoming slate.  There will probably be new additions as things get titles and release dates so it's by no means exhaustive.  Happy 2023.

1 comment:

  1. Trolls 2 was good not as good as the first one but I will still likely buy the movie.

    ReplyDelete