Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)

Mirror has two faces poster.jpg  I am shocked that I haven't posted about this movie before.  I know I've been through the M's already.  I probably skipped it, now that I think about it.  I have to be in a very specific mood to watch this film and really enjoy it.  Or be showing it to someone new.  Bethany, my ex-work wife (I got laid off but she and I are still friends), had never seen it despite being raised mostly on chick flicks.  Long time readers know that I almost never watch chick flicks but this happens to be one of, if not my absolute, favorites.

Professor Greg Larkin (Jeff Bridges) is tired of constantly falling for and getting dumped by hot women so he takes out a personal ad looking for someone a little less attractive and more grateful.  Rose (Barbra Streisand) is a Literature professor mostly resigned to living the rest of her days in the shadow of her younger sister (Mimi Rogers) and mother (Lauren Bacall).  Her sister answers Larkin's ad on Rose's behalf in a condescending attempt to be nice.  They meet and find enough common ground to begin a totally platonic relationship.  The difficulty arises when Rose violates their agreement by falling for Larkin.

This movie feels very dated in terms of gender politics but the story itself is pretty solid.  What I love is how snappy the dialogue is between Streisand, Bacall, and Rogers.  That will never get old to me.  Obviously, your enjoyment of this is going to be based on your Streisand tolerance level.  She directed, starred, and sings the final song of the film.  That's a lot of Babs and not everyone's cup of tea.  But if you're okay with her, this is a nice rainy-day movie to watch when you're feeling particularly hopeful about romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment