Saturday, November 25, 2017

Serenity (2005)

Serenity One Sheet.jpg  I also made Bethany the Work Wife watch this one.  They were going to go up together but I didn't have enough time last week.

River Tam (Summer Glau) is rescued from a government lab by her brother (Sean Maher), who has joined the crew of the ship Serenity, a tight-knit group of misfits and former revolutionaries who do odd jobs around the edges of the galaxy.  Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) leads his merry band through thick and thin, but even he is daunted at the level of response to get River back.  Mal has not yet left a man behind, so he is determined to get to the truth before the government's assassin (Chiwetel Ejiofor) takes them all out.

This was the first experience I ever had with a rabid fandom.  I never saw the show Firefly until after I saw the movie.  And every time I mentioned it, all I ever heard was "You should see Firefly.  It was unfairly cancelled."  Here's my unpopular opinion:  the movie is way better.  It distilled all the magic of the series into two perfect hours and presented it with a bow on top.  Short and sweet.  No wasting your time trying to figure out the proper episode order or dealing with filler bullshit.  Fuck Firefly.  Watch Serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment