Saturday, February 10, 2018

Get Out (2017)

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Original Screenplay
  So I now understand the confusion at the Golden Globes this year.  This is definitely not a comedy.  It has funny moments, but it is assuredly a horror film.  Anyone who tells you they thought it was hilarious is someone not to be trusted.

Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), an up-and-coming photographer, agrees to go with his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams) to meet her parents (Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener).  He expects it to be somewhat awkward, but is not prepared for the sheer wrongness of everything.  By the time Chris realizes he is in real danger, it is too late.

A sense of real menace pervades the entirety of this film.  That is incredibly hard to sustain but Jordan Peele handles it masterfully.  It's worth pointing out that William Peter Blatty was also a comedy writer before turning in the screenplay for one of the greatest horror films ever made (and a personal favorite), The Exorcist.  I would hold Get Out right up there with it and The Stepford Wives, which I think would make for an interesting double feature in suburban horror.  It deserves every single Oscar it's nominated for and probably another one for Best Original Score, because the music is creepy as fuck.  I'm actually really mad I didn't get to see this last year so I could put it in my Top Ten list, because it would definitely have made it.

Part of me wants to unpack everything that makes the film terrifying but a larger part just wants all of you to see it and then we can have a discussion.  Comment or @ me on Twitter (@LucyBlogsStuff) and we'll talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment