Saturday, May 4, 2019

Creed II (2018)

  I watched this on a transatlantic flight with two screaming children sitting in front of me so not the best experience but I'm trying to not let that color my review.

Adonis Creed (Michael B. Jordan) finally has everything working out for him.  He's at the top of his game physically and emotionally, aided by his girlfriend, Bianca (Tessa Thompson), and coach, Rocky (Sylvester Stallone).  Unbeknownst to him, however, old grudges are resurfacing.  Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) has been training his son Viktor (Florian Munteanu) pretty much since birth to be a contender for the World Heavyweight title and the time is finally right, thanks to a self-interested boxing promoter (Russell Hornsby).

This is still a pretty decent boxing movie but I felt like there was a lot more they could have done with it.  The boxing promotor character is really not fleshed out at all.  It would have been nice to see some more motivation from him, other than just "I am being paid to be here."  I almost wish they had just called it Drago and focused on Viktor and Ivan's relationship.  I get why they didn't but still.  The character arcs of Creed and Bianca were pushed further, there was more screen time for Phylicia Rashad, and there was a nice ending for Rocky, all of which are good things.

Would I buy it?  No.  But it was a decent enough distraction from the fact that I was in a middle seat for eight straight hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment