Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

  This was my first live-tweet of a movie.  I decided to do it because it is just old enough to tap into nostalgia for a lot of people and I had never seen it before.  I'd seen the odd gif but never the whole film.  It turned out better than I thought it would.  (The movie, not the live-tweet.  I can't really tell if that was welcome or not until I lose a bunch of followers, I guess.)

Milo Thatch (Michael J. Fox) is an academic and linguist frustrated by his boss' apathy towards Milo's theory about the disappearance and location of the fabled island of Atlantis.  When a wealthy magnate (John Mahoney) offers to fund a complete expedition, Milo jumps at the chance, ignoring every single red flag about the expedition leader Rourke (James Garner) and why he needs a full complement of soldiers for a scientific exploration.  After many hardships, they discover the lost island and its princess, Kida (Cree Summer), who is very interested in restoring some of the information lost in the cataclysm that brought the island down but not as interested as Rourke is in taking the Atlantean's perpetual energy source and selling it to the highest bidder.

Overall, this was a decent animated movie.  It never comes close to Disney's heyday but I can see why people would have been drawn to it.  There are some significant plotholes and too many characters that rely on a one-dimensional description for me, but I'm also looking at it as a 36-year-old who breaks down movies for fun.  I don't say this often, but I would actually really love for Disney to revisit this, maybe as a series on Disney+. 

No comments:

Post a Comment