Tuesday, April 7, 2020

45 Years (2015)

  I forgot that it was Monday yesterday.  What even is time, right?  All this working from home...  Really, though, I probably would have forgotten what day it was anyway.  I'm terrible at space-time continuity.

Anyway, here's this movie.  It's boring and British and made no sense to me whatsoever.  Enjoy!

Kate (Charlotte Rampling) is planning a 45th wedding anniversary party at the end of the week for herself and Geoff (Tom Courtenay) when Geoff receives a letter from the Swiss government.  Fifty years ago, Geoff had been hiking in the Alps with his then sweetheart, Katya (Lady Not-Appearing-In-This-Film), but she fell in a glacier fissure and died.  Now he has received notice that they found her body.  Suddenly, Kate is filled with insecurities and jealousies over a woman who --I cannot stress this enough-- has been dead since before she met, much less married, her husband.

I just didn't understand anything about this movie.  I don't get what Kate's problem was.  It's not like he had an affair.  It's not like they found Katya alive.  Obsessing over "what if" in a multi-decade relationship is just insane to me.  "But what if she hadn't died?"  But she did.  Years before you even met that dude.  He's not allowed to have dated anyone?  Is that not completely insane?  "But would you have married her instead?"  Bitch, yeah, probably.  They were dating.  And then she died.  Ergo, no longer dating.  WTF.  People are stupid.

This is on the Criterion Channel for some unfathomable reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment