Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

I watched this again, now that I'm going back through my server.  I wasn't sure if it would hold up to a second viewing, but I actually liked it more this time around.  It's like an anti-rom-com.  The whole point of the Adjusters is trying to keep these two characters from seeing each other and I think that's hilarious.  Originally published 23 Oct 2011.  The Adjustment Bureau Poster  I wasn't completely sold on this movie from the trailers but it's pretty good.  It's funnier than I thought it would be.  The chemistry between the two leads is solid without being soap opera-y, which is a big thing when you're dealing with themes of destiny and The One.  Tip the scales the wrong way and you've turned it into a farce.

David Norris (Matt Damon) is a New York congressman who just lost a campaign for Senate.  On the cusp of giving his concession speech, he meets a ballet dancer named Elise (Emily Blunt).  She inspires him to give a great speech and then disappears.  A couple of weeks later, he sees her on a bus and they strike up a conversation.  Seems innocent enough, right?  Except David was never supposed to see her again.  Now his entire future is in jeopardy because of a shadowy, haberdashed group called The Adjusters.  They groom humanity along its rightful course according to the Plan.  Any deviations from the Plan are dealt with, unobtrusively if possible, definitively if not.  David needs a little help from a sympathetic Adjuster (Anthony Mackie) and a whole lot of luck if he wants the future he's dreaming of instead of the one that's been decided for him.

It's based on a story by Philip K. Dick, which makes a lot of sense, since it is a beautiful concept.  I'm sure writer/director/producer, George Nolfi, did a lot to polish it and develop the characters but all of my praise ultimately goes to Mr. Dick for so many of the great science fiction ideas of the last half century.

No comments:

Post a Comment