Sunday, August 7, 2022

The Salesman (2016)

  So here's the problem with trying to watch all the Oscar nominees every year.  I inevitably miss some and they end up clumping together in my queue, which means I get bogged down in depressing drama after depressing drama.  CW:  sexual assault (off-screen)

Forced to move from their home, Emad (Shahab Hosseini) and Rana (Taraneh Alidoosti) are grateful when a friend finds them a temporary apartment.  This quickly turns into resentment when Rana is assaulted and the couple discover the previous tenant was a prostitute.  Emad begins searching non-stop for the former john, putting his career, family, and mental health at risk.

Asghar Farhadi has made a splash with his contemporary looks into Iran.  A lot of people find them compelling.  After having watched The Past and A Separation, I have to say I'm not a fan.  I don't like this kind of messy human drama.  I find them very hard to watch.  This one especially.  Now, there are some cultural differences at work here and I want to be respectful of those.  Farhadi incorporates elements of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman as a kind of play-within-a-play (which I had to look up because I've never actually seen it) and it works.  There's definitely a correlation between how a man is perceived and how he actually is in both works.  I'm just extremely annoyed that he chose to use a woman's pain and suffering to accomplish it.

They never use the word rape but it is heavily implied and Emad immediately makes it about himself.  It becomes a stain on his honor by proxy and only uncovering the perpetrator will give him a sense of justice, even after Rana tells him she wants to just move on.  It's sexist and regressive.  Nonetheless, it is currently streaming on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment